Saturday, April 3, 2010

We're still living here. How come nobody can tell?

This post probably won't tell most people anything that they don't know already, but on the off chance that you WEREN'T aware, Ryan Adams has written some pretty amazing songs over the years. My personal favorite record of his has to be "Love is Hell," and I find it hard to believe that a collection songs as fantastic as this wasn't considered by his label to be commercially viable. Case in point:



Ryan Adams - This House is Not For Sale
Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

Now, I'm not going to bombard you with a bunch of tracks like I did last time. I'll drop a few here for you to check out, but really, you should probably already own this record.


To be perfectly honest, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to Ryan Adams until the release of "Love is Hell Pt. 1" because I hadn't been particularly impressed with "Gold" when it first came out (for the record, my opinion on that album has since changed for the better). I was working at CD Warehouse at the time, and a used copy floated through the store. I popped it in because there was some internet buzz around it at the time and I didn't want to simply dismiss it just because I didn't care much for some of his previous stuff. Right from the beginning, this record grabbed me. From beginning to end it has this hushed sense of urgency and desperation that ebbs and flows, which in a lot of ways reminds me of some of Jeff Buckley's work (minus the otherworldly angelic voice, of course), especially on songs like "Political Scientist" and superior-to-the-original-in-every-way version of "Wonderwall" (again, very Buckley-esque in that respect). It's very ballad heavy, but when it picks up... magic.


Ryan Adams - English Girls Approximately

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

So, that's all I really have for this one. Chew on some "Wonderwall" while you're at it.


Ryan Adams - Wonderwall

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

1 comment:

  1. For the record, I do enjoy Ryan Adams and will have to make a point and get that album. However, this being the first time I have heard his version of Wonderwall, I must say it was beautiful, enchanting and awesome.... but the echo has to go. By the way, you have great taste since we used the same design for our blogs.

    ReplyDelete