Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"The joke's on you, Brandy... "

This post marks the third show I've been to in a row that I've blogged about. It also marks the third week in a row that I've been to a show at The Conservatory that has been nothing short of kick-ass. Tuesday night featured a rare triple threat of amazing, with The Uglysuit, O'fidelis and Ali Harter.


Ms. Harter took the stage first and, by her own admission, played a criminally short set due in part to her own "bullshitting." She played three brand new songs, including one "hateful little song" about an old friend's gasoline fume huffing induced aborted suicide by immolation in his own house... and his white trash girlfriend (the title of this post is taken from this song). Since that song hasn't been released yet, here's a different one off of "No Bees, No Honey" for those of you who aren't familiar with her whiskey-soaked alt-country greatness.


Ali Harter - Close Up the House


Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

Up next was O'fidelis, who were also outstanding. They've got that wonderful indie/folk/rock/punk sound that I adore so much and they surprised me (I can't speak for anyone else) with a pulk-style (that punk mixed with folk as far as I'm concerned) cover of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance." Once again, I don't have that, but I do have the tracks from their demo and I've been able to find song titles for 4 out of 5 tracks! This one's listed on their MySpace page as "Concion de Feliz Numero Dos" but I'm pretty sure they just called it "Happy Song Number 2" at the show. I wanted to post the mysterious "Track 3," but chose not to since I can't track down a title. You'll like this though. I guarantee it.


O Fidelis - Concion de Feliz Numero Dos


Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

And in the headlining slot, I was treated once again to the glorious sounds of The Uglysuit. Every time those guys play it's a joyous treat (kind of like the pumpkin cheesecake muffins that Israel's fiancee made for their bake sale at the show, but that's a whole other story). If you've yet to hear them, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of their self-titled debut album. If you can imagine what it would sound like if Explosions in the Sky tried to write pop songs, then you're on the right track. This one is tied for 1st as far as my favorite tracks on the record.


The Uglysuit - Everyone Now Has a Smile


Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

That's it for now. Tune in next week when I inevitably will tell you about my experience at the Mr. Gnome show this coming Monday at, you guessed it, The Conservatory. And I'll probably post again before that too. You know me by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment