Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I command you to leave this body!

Currently, I have about 10 different things I want to talk about here, but being the well organized person I am (HA!), I'm taking things one at a time. While I won't say that this one is the most pressing, I will say that having been to a brilliant show last night, it is definitely at the forefront of my mind. As such, this post will be about the pAper chAse. Let's start things off relatively light...


the pAper chAse - The Laying of Hands

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

Okay. So we got that brief introduction out of the way. I figure it's best that I introduce most people to these guys in exactly the opposite manner in which they were introduced to me. You guys get the luxury of being slowly lowered into the madness. I was dropped into the fray without warning.


So let this serve as your warning: This is not "easy" music.


the pAper chAse - What Should We Do?

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

My first exposure to these guys was on a playlist compiled with friends. You will hear the song I heard at the end of this post. It was an extremely jarring experience as these guys have a penchant for crafting music that can be simultaneously catchy and cacophonous. At times, it sounds as if the song is going to spin out of control into a fit of noisy, atonal madness, but (usually) comes back to some sort of center. However, like 20th Century "classical" composers working with unusual methods of organizing tones, what may sound like chaos is actually carefully planned and painstakingly put together to achieve the desired effect. Often, we have the juxtaposition of intense passages of atonal bursts alongside very memorable melodies and sometimes we get them both at once.


the pAper chAse - I'm Going to Heaven

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

The lead singer, John Congleton, is a producer and engineer and, as you can imagine, I was rather surprised that this guy has worked with artists such as The Polyphonic Spree, Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You and The Appleseed Cast. While their newest album, "Someday This Could All Be Yours Pt. 1" is easily their most accessible to date, it's still no easy ride. Case in point:


the pAper chAse - This is a Rape

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

"Someday... Pt. 1" is supposed to be about natural disasters. Throughout the course of the record we hear about forest fires, extinctions and mass hysteria. Somehow, Congleton even manages to make some sort of comparison between a flood and a rape, as in the previous example. Part 2 has yet to be release, but supposedly represents the aftermath of every disaster depicted in Part 1. If you like what you've heard so far, it's all on the latest album. There aren't really any songs on it that I don't like so I can unequivocally recommend that you pick it up if you're looking for something that's a bit off-kilter but still listenable. I wouldn't steer you wrong, would I?


As promised, here's the track that started it all for me. From their album "God Bless Your Black Heart," this is easily the most challenging listen on this post.


the pAper chAse - One Day He Went Out for Milk and Never Came Back

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

I promise the next post will be easier. Thanks for considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment