Tuesday, May 11, 2010

If you got the inclination, I got the dancing shoes

I was treated to a very nice surprise last night at The Conservatory (starting to see a pattern here yet?). I went out to see my friends, Radio Deception, who were outstanding. I've mentioned them once before, but didn't really elaborate. Basically, if you're a fan of stuff in the vein of Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, but like the idea of them playing shorter songs, you'll dig these cats. I'll try to keep you posted on their future activities.


But alas, this post is not about them. This is about These United States.
 Being that RD was playing with The Gentle Art of Floating (also very impressive), I expected some more instrumental greatness. What I got instead was a delightful mix of extremely well written alternative country and indie rock. They remind of Ryan Adams' more upbeat stuff mixed with early Counting Crows (am I showing my age with that one?) and the tiniest possible hint of Modest Mouse. But that's just one man's opinion. You're free to make up your own mind...

These United States - Good Bones


Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

The two tracks here are off of their most recent effort, "Everything Touches Everything." I'm sure Jim and Dustin over at Size Records have secured some copies, and if not, there's always the easy way out...


These United States - I'm Gonna Assemble a City


Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

This is another record that falls into the category of "Really Awesome Stuff that Came Out Last Year that I Didn't Hear Until This Year." I'll probably have to make some sort of mega-post with a nice long list of all of those... eventually. Either way, if you enjoyed the tracks embedded here, you're really going to enjoy this record.

No comments:

Post a Comment