Monday, May 31, 2010

I Set My Body on Fire Today

Stillwater, Oklahoma, home to the Oklahoma State University Cowboys, isn't exactly the place one would expect to find a thriving music scene (the godawful "Red Dirt" sound notwithstanding), but this Oklahoma college town has been home to many amazing artists over the past couple of years. Colourmusic, Other Lives, Sherree Chamberlain and Mayola, all fantastic artists in their own right, have called this place home at one point or another. Ladies and Germs, it's time to add Deerpeople to that already impressive list.


Deerpeople - New Dance (Find the Naughty Word, Kids!)

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

This debut self-titled EP is a healthy mix of indie rock and folk that you can dance to. It's seriously catchy and at times, melodramatic. Some of the instrumental arrangements bring to mind The Arcade Fire's good album (if you have to ask, please don't) and the lyrical content at times resembles John Roderick's (of The Long Winters) blunt and deadpan snarkiness. As far as I'm concerned, this is a winning combination and those who I've shared this record with so far seem to agree wholeheartedly. Live, they're a little rough around the edges in the best way possible, minimizing down time by filling empty space with all sorts of wonderful noise between songs. In short, they bring the MF'n ruckus. If you want to know what I'm talking about firsthand, you can catch them at The Conservatory this Saturday, June 5th. I know I will.


Deerpeople - Canada (There's Another One Here!)

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

It doesn't look like there's a physical release floating around as of yet, but you can acquire this fantastic 5 song EP here and pay what you want. I paid $5 because I'm a nice guy and felt that $0.05 over the iTunes price is more than fair for a record this good. If you want to prove that you're nicer than I am, I would encourage you to pay more. Of course, they won't hold it against you if you pay nothing for it as far as I know. Either way, you can get it in high quality 320K mp3s or FLAC or both if you're feeling ambitious. Get it, familiarize yourself with it and hit up their show on Saturday if you know what's good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment