Thursday, May 20, 2010

Don't Look Back, Press On

I don't know which sucks more: finding out that a band I love broke up months ago (I'm looking at you, Harlem Shakes), or finding out that a band I love is breaking up in the near future, are currently on their last tour ever and are coming nowhere near me. Neither is some cataclysmic event, but both are kind of crappy.


Isis - Backlit

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

Isis (the latter case above) is calling it quits after over a decade of making great music. For those of you who don't know, Isis in my mind has sort of become the rightful heir to Tool's throne. They've come to play a breed of heavy, dense not-quite-metal that's expansive and a little psychedelic that has been branded by some as "post-metal." Metal loving elitists will tell you that the last good album these guys made was "Oceanic" but disregarding the impressive body of work that came after is doing oneself a disservice. Yeah, Aaron Turner's singing isn't very impressive, but the band's sense for space and textures take them above and beyond most other bands operating in the same mode.


Isis - In Fiction

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

I guess my first exposure to Isis came from my friend Alex. We listened to "Panopticon" on the way back from a trip to Tulsa and I was immediately hooked. The unique rhythmic drive coupled with the crushing heaviness of the guitars and Turner's tortured bellowing grabbed me right away. I loved the way they created dense, distorted textures, yet still managed to sound open and harmonious and were able to turn on a dime between this sound and shimmering clean or ambient passages.


Isis - Wrists of Kings

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

I was fortunate enough to be able to see them at The Conservatory when they were touring behind "In Absence of Truth" which is still my favorite of theirs to date. Jesu was supposed to open for them but they were unable to get their visas in time to join them on the first leg of the tour. After almost being literally deafened by Torche, Isis brought their perfect sense of dynamic contrast to this small club and the show had to be experienced to be believed. Easily one of the best shows The Conservatory has ever put on.


Isis - Over Root and Thorn

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

I'm certainly going to miss these guys, but hopefully the members' other projects (mainly Red Sparrowes) will continue to release quality material as time rolls on. I mean, it's not like anybody died or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment