Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Someone Else's Dream

It seems I'm just bursting at the seams with "full disclosure" here lately, but here we go again. Erin (Lead Vocals/Keys/Enchantress) is an old friend of mine from college and she is fronting this wonderful little band called The Rosen Association these days.


The Rosen Association - Gum of Beauty

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

I can't tell you much about their collective history as a band, but I can tell you that I once gave a Deftones button to Erin off of my old satchel for reasons that I can't quite remember. I can also tell you that she and I were both party to a conversation with a gentleman who claims he once took a bath in Bjork's tub. I believe his story to be true.


The Rosen Association - Drones

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

Back to the subject at hand. This type of music is right up my alley. The guitars are awash with delay and reverb, the rhythm section is tight and the synths are abuzz with warm, gooey goodness. While I shudder to use the word "darkwave," it does have a hint of that flavor to it, though in all honesty, it's the atmospheric kinship they share with groups like Longwave and Asobi Seksu that draws me into it the most. You could conceivably dance to some of this if dancing is your thang. If not, it's an equally enjoyable listen while simply enjoying a glass or seven of wine. Your call really. It's actually a very soothing record. The vocals are smooth, not very acrobatic as a general rule and really suit the overall sound quite nicely.


The Rosen Association - Emergency Broadcast

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

It's only $6.99 on CD Baby for a digital download of the whole thing. It's not perfect, but it's damn good. I mean, I bought it. If that's not a good enough reason for you to follow suit, I don't know what is. Sure, you could be a contrarian ass-master about it, but you'd be missing out. Do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment