Monday, October 4, 2010

Sometimes I Try to Pretend

This will mark my third post about Hurricane Bells and, unless Steve Schiltz goes on a crazy streak of insane productivity (which is not necessarily out of the question given that it's been about a year since the first HB release), it may be the last one dedicated to them for a while. Now, I know in my last post I promised that I would be talking about "bleeps and bloops," but I felt that I needed to move this one to the front burner. I mentioned not long ago that this EP was coming out and, as expected, it's outstanding. More blissful, low-key stuff that's perfect for autumn and doesn't stray away from the formula that, in my opinion, made "Tonight is the Ghost" so great. However, this doesn't really showcase Schiltz songwriting chops as much as HB's debut as 3 of the 5 tracks are covers.


Hurricane Bells - Waiting Song

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

If you'll also recall when I made the preview post for this EP I was pretty ambivalent about the cover of Blue October's "Into the Ocean" being included on the disc. It turns out that I really had nothing to worry about. Steve takes a song that I didn't really care for at all to begin with and turned it into one of the highlights on the record.


Hurricane Bells - Into the Ocean

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

See? That wasn't so bad, now was it? If you feel inclined to purchase this, I recommend doing so directly through the band's website. Whether you buy the physical version or the digital download, you'll receive the "Ghost Stories" EP as a free bonus, which is just 5 remixes of previously released material. Being the completist that I am when it comes to Steve's work, I had to have it. And track 3 is actually pretty awesome to boot. Win-win!


Hurricane Bells - Winters in New York (Carlos Anthony Molina Remix)

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

There you have it. 2 EPs for the price of one. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some 16-bit blinking, blonking stuff to listen to for the next post. For real this time.

1 comment: