Monday, September 20, 2010

Music from Vacation: Volume 2

Well, ladies and gentlemen, it seems that once again it has taken me longer to post than originally planned. Combinations of family illness and the lack of a consistent internet connection have gotten in the way (mostly the internet thing) but no more! The time is nigh for a long-promised post about Owl & Penny label-mates, Boys & Frogs.


Boys & Frogs - Every Daughter's Dance

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

Now, I know what you're thinking. "What are the chances that two bands from the same greater metro area, on the same label with similar naming conventions would both be very good, much less worth writing home about?" Well wonder no more. These kids are legit. As with Owl & Penny, I picked up their EP "In Desperate Need of a Car Crash" while on a "working" vacation in Phoenix, AZ (and by "working," I mean being a drunken mess of a groomsman at my best friend's wedding for the better part of a week [Danial, I love you man]). This was actually the first disc out of three to which I listened and I was immediately impressed.


Boys & Frogs - Good Sons

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

If you're into artists like Owen Pallett/Final Fantasy, Arcade Fire or even Morrissey (a touchstone I don't often cite as a positive influence, but it's actually applicable in a good way here), you're going to dig this collection of tunes. The instrumentation throughout is eclectic enough to remain interesting, but not eccentric enough to be off-putting or pretentious. These are all well-crafted indie-pop songs that get under your skin which you will find yourself whistling in public restrooms on a regular basis. Admit it. The reverb is awesome and whistling in the restroom is the easiest way to keep people from trying to engage in conversation with you while you bleed out those 44oz of soda you drank after lunch. The only gripe I have about it is some of the mixing choices, but that's just the ugly, elitist audiophile in me talking. At it's core "In Desperate Need of a Car Crash" is an excellent first effort. Should the EP not sate your appetite, there is also an iTunes-exclusive single called "In Dreams" which I can recommend without hesitation.


Next post is coming in under a week. You can bet on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment